1) How did British travel habits change? Use the Word Box to learn the meaning of the highlighted words.
Most British people spend part of their holidays away from home and many of them go abroad. More people can afford foreign holidays nowadays. As a result, the number of travel agencies in Britain is growing. The travel habits changed in the 1960s when travel agents offered package holidays. A “package” usually includes transport tickets accommodation, meals and sometimes excursions or guided coach tours. Some people however do not like organized travelling and prefer to go on their own.
Today there are many types of package holidays and lots of different destinations. More British people are taking holidays abroad now than in the 1990s. A traditional holiday abroad is spent at a seaside resort and many British people prefer to go on holidays to warmer countries. Packages to Greece, Spain m Turkey are the favourite destinations for most British tourists abroad. Trips in the USA and Australia also attract a lot of tourists.
It is in fashion nowadays to take two holidays in the year. The first holiday is I relaxing holiday, and the second is an adventure holiday, such as climbing or winter sports somewhere in Austria or Switzerland. If you ask British holidaymaker why they go abroad, they will often say about the unreliable British weather, various tourists attractions and wonderful resorts as the main reasons.
many people много людей
more people — больше людей
most people большинство людей
mostly главным образом
abroad — за границей
to afford - позволить себе
nowadays - в наше время
a habit — привычка; обыкновение
a package (holiday) - комплексная туристическая поездка
accommodation - жильё (hotel -)
a coach — автобус (экскурсионный)
to prefer - предпочитать
on one’s own- самостоятельно
a destination- место назначения
a seaside — морское побережье
a resort — курорт
to attract — привлекать
a holidaymaker - отпускник; отдыхающий
various - разнообразный
a reason — причина
Words to guess
an agency - агентство
an agent - ?
2) Answer the following questions about British travel habits.
•How do British people usually spend their holidays?
• When did the travel habits change?
• What makes package holidays popular?
• Why do some people prefer to travel on their own?
• What is a traditional holiday abroad for British tourists?
• What places are the most enjoyable destinations for British people?
• What types of holidays are in fashion nowadays?
• What reasons for travelling abroad do British people give?