1) What mystery did the heroes of The Invisible Man («Человек-Невидимка») by H.G. Wells* try to solve with the help of the three books?
Mr Cuss and Mr Bunting were in the parlour (общая комната) of the inn (гостиница), searching the stranger's property in the hope of finding something to explain the events of the morning. Jaffers had recovered from his fall and had gone home. Mrs Hall had tidied the stranger's clothes and put them away. And under the window where the stranger did his work, Mr Cuss found three big books.
"Now," said Cuss, "we shall learn something." But when they opened the books they could read nothing. Cuss turned the pages. "Dear me," he said, "I can't understand." "No pictures, nothing to show?" asked Mr Bunting. "See for yourself," said Mr Cuss, "it is all Greek or Russian or some other language."
The door opened suddenly. Both men looked round. It was Mr Marvel. He held the door open for a moment. "I beg your pardon," he said.
"Please shut that door," said Mr Cuss, and Mr Marvel went out.
"My nerves (нервы) - my nerves are all wrong today," said Mr Cuss. "It made me jump when the door opened like that."
Mr Bunting smiled. "Now let us look at the books again. It is certain that strange things have been happening in the village. But, of course, I can't believe in an Invisible Man. I can't ... Now the books."
They turned over the pages, unable to read a word of their strange language.
2) Complete the sentences using the ideas from the text.
1. They didn't understand a word in the books because ... (Why?)
2. Mr Cuss's nerves were all wrong that day that ... (What betrayed (выдавало) his nervousness?)
3. Mr Bunting didn't believe in an Invisible Man though ... (What betrayed the presence of the Invisible Man?)
3) Why do you think Mr Cuss decided that the books were written in Russian or Greek?
4) The word Greek can be used in some idiomatic expressions. What does the expression mean in your opinion? Why? Find the correct translation.
It is Greek to me.
A. Это написано по-гречески.
B. Мне это совершенно непонятно.
5) Was Mr Bunting right when he didn't believe in an Invisible Man?
Suddenly Mr Bunting felt something take hold of the back of his neck. He was unable to lift his head. "Don't move, little men, or I'll knock your brains (мозги) out." Mr Bunting looked at Cuss, whose face had turned white with fear.
"I am sorry to be rough (грубый)," said the Voice. "Since when did you learn to interfere (вмешиваться) with other men's goods (имущество)?"
Two noses struck the table. "To come unasked into a stranger's private room! Listen. I am a strong man. I could kill you both and escape unseen, if I wanted to. If I let you go you must promise to do as I tell you." "Yes," said Mr Bunting.
Then the hands let their necks go and the two men sat up, now very red in the face.
"Don't move," said the Voice. "Here's the poker (кочерга), you see." They saw the poker dance in the air. It touched Mr Bunting's nose.
"Now, where are my clothes? Just at present, though the days are quite warm enough for an invisible man to run about naked (обнаженный) — the evenings are cold. I want some clothes. And I must also have those three books."
6) How well did you understand the following sentences in the story?
1. To come unasked into a stranger's private room!
A. Прийти, не спрашивая, в личную комнату постороннего человека!
B. Прийти незваным в личную комнату постороннего человека!
2. I could kill you both and escape unseen, if I wanted to.
A. Я мог бы убить вас обоих и ускользнуть незамеченным, если бы захотел.
B. Я могу убить вас обоих и ускользнуть незамеченным, если захочу.
3 Then the hands let their necks go and the two men sat up ...
A. Затем руки отпустили их шеи, и двое мужчин выпрямились ...
B. Затем руки помешали их шеям освободиться, и двое мужчин выпрямились ...
4. They saw the poker dance in the air.
A. Они увидели танец кочерги в воздухе.
B. Они увидели, как кочерга танцевала в воздухе.
7) Why do you think the three books were so important for the Invisible Man?
8) What kind of person was the Invisible Man in your opinion?