1) Does Jane like shopping on her own or with her mum?
Shopping is fun! I like shopping on my own but more often I go shopping with mum. Shopping with mum has many advantages.
Firstly, your pocket money is not enough for buying clothes: it is mum who has got the money. Secondly, while choosing clothes you will need someone's advice, why not take mum's, for example? Thirdly, with mum's shopping experience you have more chances to get the right thing. More than that, you can analyse your buys along the way and ask for advice about what matches what. And finally, you can ask mum to buy something else beside what you've planned.
However, shopping with mum has some disadvantages. First of all, your tastes differ: you like one thing and your mum likes something absolutely different, so you can't do without arguing. Besides, you can't ignore your mother's opinion, even if you do not agree. Also, you'll have to waste a lot of time and energy on talking your mum into1 buying a piece of clothing she does not like at all.
Although there are some disadvantages of shopping with mum I like to do it, because I feel more comfortable and happier when I buy and wear clothes we both like.
an advantage - преимущество
a disadvantage - недостаток
2) Read through the composition again and say according to which of the two plans below it is written.
Giving one’s opinion
Advantages and arguments
Disadvantages and arguments
Giving one’s opinion and reasons
3) What arguments does Jane give when she talks about the advantages of shopping with her mother? Which words does Jane use to introduce the arguments?
Learning to learn
Когда мы приводим несколько аргументов для того, чтобы поддержать свою точку зрения, мы используем вводные слова: firstly (во-первых), secondly (во-вторых), thirdly (в-третьих), finally (и наконец). Для того чтобы перечислить аргументы, можно использовать такие слова, как first of all, also besides, more than that
4) What arguments does Jane give when she talks about the disadvantages of shopping with her mother? Which words does Jane use to introduce the arguments?
5) Choose one of the plans in ex. 1.2) and write your own composition on the same topic. (150-180 words)