1) When were the first ancient Olympic Games and Modern Olympic Games organised? (reading for specific information)
Beginning in 776 BC, the Olympic Games were held in the Valley of Olympia in Greece. They were dedicated to the Olympian Gods and took place every four years. By about 650 BC the Games were held over five days. Sportsmen came to the Valley of Olympia from every corner of the Greek world. Sportsmen competed in running, wrestling and the pentathlon. The pentathlon was a five-event match which included running, wrestling, jumping, throwing the discus and throwing the javelin. Later boxing, a chariot race and other events were included. Women could not take part in the Games and even couldn’t watch them. The winners of these early Games were awarded with wreaths4 from an olive tree that was planted by Hercules* (Heracles), founder of the Games. In 394 AD the Olympic Games were abolished.
Thanks to Baron Pierre de Coubertin the first Modern Olympic Games took place in Greece in 1896. They were held over 10 days in April. About 300 athletes from 13 countries participated6 in 9 different sports. The largest delegation was from Greece. They won 10 gold medals and set Olympic records. At the Moscow 1980 Games more than 5,000 athletes from 80 countries competed in 21 different sports. The 2004 Olympic Games also took place in Greece. Athletes from 202 countries competed in 28 different sports some of which, for example, the track events in athletics, are very old, while others were added' to the programme of the Games not long ago. For example, open water swimming events, over the distance of 10 kilometres, were included into the programme of the Olympic Games in 2008 (in China).
BC (before Christ) — до нашей эры
AD (anno Domini) — нашей эры
2) Find the sentences with the following words and translate them.
about adv - приблизительно, около, почти
over prep - за, в, в течение
with prep - указывает на орудие или способ совершения действия, передаётся творительным падежом
3) Which sports do the pictures illustrate? Which other sports were the first Olympic sports?
4) Complete the fact file about the Olympics using the text, (reading for specific information/making notes)
Number of sports?
to participate v- принимать участие
a participation n - ?
a participant n - ?
GS p. 202
In 776 B.C.
Valley of Olympia, Greece
No (женщины стали принимать участие с 1900 г.)
5) Fill in the chart with information about the Modem Olympic Games from the text, (reading for specific information/making notes)
Moscow, Russia (the USSR)
(информации в тексте нет)
Number of sports:
6) In the text, find the sentences In the Passive Voice and transform them Into the Active Voice, (understanding grammar structures)