1) Read another extract from the book. What destinations is the extract about? Find the places on the map. (reading for specific information)
Passepartout began thinking very seriously about the strange chance … kept Fix with them. And it really was surprising. Here was the passenger … they met first at Suez, … they were sailing on the Mongolia and then he got off at Bombay. Then he got aboard’ the Rangoon on his way to Hong Kong. He was following Mr Fogg step by step.I It was very strange. Passepartout was sure that Fix would leave Hong Kong at the same time as Mr Fogg, and probably by the same steamship.
Passepartout would never guess the real reason for … Mr Fogg was being followed. He would never imagine that Mr Fogg was followed round the world as a robber. But as all people like to find an explanation of everything, Passepartout found an explanation … seemed very reasonable. Fix, he was sure, had been sent by members of the Reform Club to see that the journey was carried out fairly and according to the agreement.
“It must be that!” said Passepartout, proud at his cleverness. “He has been sent secretly to make sure that Mr Fogg is not playing any tricks. That is not right. Alt! Gentlemen of the Reform Club, you will be sorry for your behaviour!”
Pleased with his discovery, Passepartout made up his mind to say nothing to Mr Fogg about it. He was afraid that his feelings would be hurt at the distrust shown by his friends. Passepartout decided to pretend that he thought Mr Fix was a travel agent from the Shipping Company.
On Wednesday afternoon, October 30th, the Rangoon passed through the Straits of Malacca,… separate the island of Sumatra from the Malays. Beautiful little islands, with their mountainsides, hid the view of Sumatra from the passengers. At four o’clock the next morning the Rangoon stopped at Singapore. Mr Fogg went on shore'1 to go for a short walk. Fix, .. distrusted every action of Fogg’s, followed him secretly. Passepartout was amused to see him doing this. Passepartout went on shore …. he was going to buy some fruit.
After a pleasant walk in the hills, Mr Fogg came back to the town, and at ten o’clock got on board the boat. He was followed by the detective, … of course, had never lost sight of him.
At eleven o’clock the Rangoon left Singapore.
2) Find in the text: a) the geographical names (the cities, the island); b) the proper names (the ships, the company, the club). What articles are used with the names? (reading for specific information)
Grammar for revision
Артикль с географическими названиями и именами собственными
Suez, but the Suez Canal
GS. P 183
3) Word building. Find the words in the extract that are formed from the following words. How are they formed? Translate the words.
существительных: -ation, -ness, -iour, -y
прилагательных: -ing, -able, -ful
GS p. 201
serious — adv
surprise – a
explain — n
reason — a
fair — adv
agree — n
clever - n
secret — adv
behave - n
discover — n
trust — n
beauty — a
act — n
4) Fill in the gaps in the extract with the relative pronouns: who, where, when, that, which, (understanding grammar structures)
Grammar for revision
Relative clauses .
Придаточные с who, where, when, which, that
Here was this kind gentleman who they met at Suez.
GS p. 200
5) Learning to translate. In the extract, find the sentences with the similar structure. Translate them, (understanding grammar structures)
Grammar for revision
Passepartout felt sure that Fix would leave Hong Kong at the same time as Mr Fogg.
Паспарту был уверен, что Фикс покинет Гонконг в то же самое время, что и мистер Фогг
GS р. 197
6) Decide if the following statements are true (T) or false (F) according to the story. Prove it from the text, (reading for detail)
1) Mr Fogg and Passepartout were very surprised to meet their friend at Suez. - F
2) Mr Fogg and Passepartout saw Mr Fix first when they travelled to Bombay. - T
3) Passepartout thought that Mr Fix was a travel agent. - F
4) Mr Fix followed Mr Fogg to check if the trip was fair. - F
5) Mr Fogg didn’t know that he was followed by Mr Fix on purpose. - T
7) Complete the summary with the geographical and proper names from the extract, (reading for detail/making notes)
It was strange that Mr Fix was following Mr Fogg and Passepartout step by step. They met Mr Fix first at Suez and then at Bombay . Then Mr Fix appeared on board of the Rangoon on them way to Hong Kong. Passepartout hought that Mr Fix was sent by the members of the Reform Club to see that the journey was carried out fairly. When the ship stopped at. Singapore, Mr Fogg went on shore to go for a walk. Mr Fix followed Mr Fogg secretly and never lost sight of him till the steamship left Singapore