1) What are the British considered to be like? Какими считают британцев?
The British are said to be polite.
The English are thought to have a good sense of humour.
The British are considered to drink a lot of tea.
The British are said not to make friends easily with strangers.
The Scots are said to be a serious people.
The Welsh are known to be emotional people.
2) What structure is used to report one’s thoughts and opinions? Read the rule and check.
3) Learning to translate. Translate the opinions about the British.
4) What other opinions about the British do people have? Transform the sentences according to the model.
They say that the English are a tradition-loving people.
The English are said to be a tradition-loving people.
• People believe that the British talk about the weather all the time.
• People think that the English don’t like changes very much.
• People consider that the British are not good at learning foreign languages.
• They say that the English don’t spend much money on clothes.
• People believe that the Scots are careful with money.
• People think that the Irish are great talkers.
• People consider that the Irish have “a sweet tooth”; they love cakes, chocolate and sweets.
• People know that the British don’t like to show their feelings.