Упр.4 Unit 5 Урок 78
ГДЗ Happy English Кауфман 10 класс
4 Прочитайте отрывок про RP и объясните смысл следующих предложений.
1. То, как человек говорил, было символом социального статуса.
2. Это невозможно для англичанина, чтобы открыть рот, ничего не сделав, другие англичане уже ненавидят или презирают его.
3. Хотя он потерял свою исключительную важность, акцент по-прежнему выступает в качестве классового барьера.
1. There were different accents used on the British Isles, but only one variety was considered correct — the Queen's English or RP, short for "Received Pronunciation". So the way a person | spoke he was immediately placed, that is his financial status, place of birth, education and position in society became clear.
2. The accent put very strict limitations on people's lives. Those whose English accent was not good enough couldn't hope to get good jobs. That was why RP was hated by poor people. On the other hand, the most despised accent was the so-called "Cockney English", spoken by the people who lived in the poor quarters of London's East End.
3. Nowadays RP is still considered the accent of Standard English. Although it has lost its 1 critical importance, accent still acts as a class barrier.
4 Read the part about RP and explain the meaning of the following sentences.
1. The way a person spoke was a symbol of social status.
2. It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him.
3. Although it has lost its critical importance, accent still acts as a class barrier.
С данным решебником также смотрят: