John: Hi, Yura. That’s John speaking. I am calling from New York.
Yura: Hi, John. Did you say New York? What are you doing there?
John: My family are in America now. My father is here on business, but we are having a real holiday. We came to New York yesterday and stayed at a big hotel. We began doing the city in the morning.
Yura: That’s great! What is New York like?
John: People call it “The Big Apple” and it is really big. The streets are long and straight, the houses are so tall.
Yura: I’d like to see New York’s world-famous skyscrapers some day. How long are you going to stay there?
John: I am afraid only for a few days. We are going to Washington, D.C. at the end of the week. I’ll ring you up on Friday.
Yura: Do, and will you send me a postcard from New York?
John: I will, bye.
Yura: Bye, thank you for the call. I hope to hear from you on Friday.
John: Yura, is that you? John is calling again.
Yura: Yes, John. How are you there in America?
John: I’m fine, enjoying the city, having a lot of fun.
Yura: So you like New York, don’t you?
John: I think I do. And I like New Yorkers too. They are rather friendly.
Yura: What’s the weather like there? It’s not very pleasant in Moscow now. It’s raining, you know.
J o h n: Oh, it’s very hot here now. They say summers are really hot here.
Yura: What do you do in the evenings?
John: Different things. Yesterday we went to a Broadway show. It was rather good.
Yura: I am very happy for you. Are you going to Washington tomorrow?
John: Tomorrow afternoon. I’ll call you from
Yura: Thank you. Bye, John.
John: Hello! Hello! It’s John here. May I speak to Yura, please?
Yura: I am speaking, John. I can hear you very well. Are you calling from New York?
John: No. I am in Washington, D.C. I am calling from the Potomac Hotel.
Yura: Are you? That’s wonderful! And how do you like Washington?
John: I don’t know. We came here yesterday
night. I hope to see the city this morning.
Yura: Are you going to see the White House and the Capitol?
John: We are. Father says he’ll take us to the city centre in the afternoon when he comes back from work.
Yura: Are you going to take pictures?
John: I am. I’ll send you the best ones when they are ready.
Yura: Thank you.
1) John went to the USA with....
a) Yura b) his family c) his friends
2) People Call1NewYork....
a) “the Big Apple”. b) “the Little Apple” c) “the Apple”
3) Yura would like to see New York’s....
a) streets b) bridges c) skyscrapers2
4) John’s going to Washington, D.C........
a) at the weekend b) on Friday, c) on Monday
5) John is going to send Yura a....
a) letter b) telegram c) postcard
1) John... it in New York.
a) likes b) hates c) doesn’t like
2) New Yorkers are....
a) selfish b) kind c) friendly
3) It’s raining in....
a) Moscow b) New York c) Washington, D.C.
4) Yesterday’s show was....
a) not good b) rather good c) very good
5) John’ll... from Washington, D.C.
a) write b) go away c) call
1) In Washington, D.C. John is staying....
a) at a hotel b) with friends c) in an old castle
2) John is going to see Washington....
a) in the morning b) in the afternoon c) in the evening
3) John and Sally are going to see....
a) the White House and the Cathedral
b) the White House and the Potomac [ps'taumask] River
c) the White House and the Capitol
4) Yura and Sally are going to the city centre with....
a) their mother b) their father c) their cousins
5) Yura is going to get some of John’s....
a) CDs b) e-mails c) photos
1) New York is the capital of the USA.
2) Russians came to America in the 18th century.
3) America is a country of immigrants.
4) Chicago is situated in the south of the USA.
5) There are fifty states1 in the USA.
6) There are fifty stars on the American flag.
7) All American states are situated in South America.
8) The United States is smaller than Russia.
9) The Mississippi is the longest river in the world.
10) There are no high mountains in the USA.
11) California is a US city.
12) Texas is the biggest state of the USA.
[You can find the right answers at the end of the Unit.]