- Some verbs can be used as transitive verbs to focus on the person who performs an action, and as intransitive verbs they focus on the thing affected by the action.
Eugene opened the door, (transitive
Suddenly the door opened, (intransitive
- Such verbs often refer to:
a) changes — begin, break, change, crack, dry, end, finish, grow, improve, increase, slow, start, stop, tear.
I grow roses in my garden.
Coffee doesn ’t grow in such climate.
b) cooking — bake, boil, cook, fry, roast, defrost, melt, simmer.
I'm cookingfish forsupper.
The rice is cooking. It will be ready in five minutes.
c) position or movement — balance, close, drop, move, open, rest, rock, shake, stand, turn.
She rested her head on his shoulder. His head rested on the table.
Jane was balancing the tray in one hand. She went out, the tray balancing in one hand.
d) vehicles — back, drive, reverse, sail, crash, fly, run.
They sailed their yacht round the world. The boat sailed on Wednesday.
- Some verbs can be used in these two ways only with a small set of nouns.
catch: belt, cloth, clothing, dress, shirt, trousers;
play: guitar, piano, violin, music;
Focus on Grammar
ring: alarm, bell;
show: anger, disappointment, emotions, fear,joy;
sound: alarm, bell, horn.
I caught my dress on the fence. My tights caught on a nail.
I played the piano. The piano was playing in the hall.
The keeper rang the bell. Listen! The bell is ringing.
Liz never shows her emotions. She can 7 pretend. All her emotions show on her face.
A car was sounding its horn. A horn sounded in the night.
He fired a gun (pistol, rifle, cannon . The gun (pistol, rifle, cannon) fired.
But you can say only: He fired a bullet.
- Some verbs need adverbs when they are used without an object.
Dan sells books. The book is selling well.
She has washed her skirt. Such cloth washes easily.
38 Complete the sentences using the correct forms of the following verbs:
1. Prices have by five per cent since last year. 2. The glass will probably _ if you pour boiling water in it. 3. Has the kettle _ yet? 4. The meat will _ quite quickly. It will be ready in five minutes. 5. A bell) and the children trooped back into the school. 6. The blouse is made of very thin material that _ easily. 7. Her new book very well in the first six months. 8. The car very nicely. 9. The taxi right outside our house. 10. The dress won’t_clean.