1) For the first time Soviet athletes took part in the Olympic Games in 1952.
2) N. A. Panin-Kolomenkin became the first Russian Olympic champion in figure skating in 1908.
3) Russian sportsmen have taken part in the winter Olympic Games since 1956.
4) Larisa Latynina won 18 Olympic medals in gymnastics during three Olympiads in 1956, 1960, 1964. No one has beaten the record till now.
5) National ice hockey championships have been organized since 1946.
6) First curling clubs appeared in Russia at the end of the 19th century but curling didn’t become popular.
7) Snowboarding is a young sport. It has been popular since 1990s.
8) National basketball championships have been held since 1934.